PEACE AND MENDACITY
IN THE MIDDLE EAST
By Prof. Paul Eidelberg
Writing at a time when one did not have to fear the mindless charge of racism, the late Professor Y. Harkabi, once head of Israel Military Intelligence, referred to Islam as a "combatant," "expansionist," and "authoritarian" creed - this, in his book ARAB ATTITUDES TO ISRAEL. He states that "The idea of the Jihad is fundamental in Islam," in consequence of which "hatred," "hostility," and "conflict" are endemic to Arab culture. Moreover, he acknowledges that "the use of falsehood," "distortions of the truth," and "misleading slogans" are typical of Arab political life. Harkabi goes so far as to suggest that mendacity is "second nature" to the Arabs, that one may rightly regard "falsehood as an expression of [Arab] national character."
Indeed, when I asked Shimon Peres' political adviser Asher Ben-Natan (shortly after my making aliya in 1976) "What is Israel's main problem?" he replied: "We can't lie as well as the Arabs." I responded, "Then why not tell the truth." Since then I have learned that Israel's political elites are no less mendacious than Harkabi's Arabs. They not only lie incessantly about the "peace process," but they do so knowing that this peace process is leading Israel to war and potential annihilation! Israel's political elites are well aware of the facts documented in a December 1996 U.S. House of Representatives Task Force Report on International Terrorism and Unconventional Warfare (Yossef Bodansky acted as director and researcher for the Task Force), which states, in part:
APPROACHING THE END OF 1996, THE MIDDLE EAST MAY WELL BE ON THE VERGE OF A MAJOR REGIONAL WAR. NUMEROUS SOURCES IN THE REGION REPORT THAT THE SUPREME LEADERS-BOTH CIVILIAN AND MILITARY-IN MOST ARAB STATES (INCLUDING EGYPT AND JORDAN), AS WELL AS IN IRAN AND PAKISTAN, ARE CONVINCED THAT THE PRESENT VULNERABILITY OF ISRAEL [RESULTING FROM THE "PEACE PROCESS"] IS SO GREAT THAT THERE IS A UNIQUE OPPORTUNITY TO, AT THE VERY LEAST, BEGIN THE PROCESS LEADING TO THE DESTRUCTION OF ISRAEL. TOWARD THIS END, SEVERAL ARAB STATES, AS WELL AS IRAN AND PAKISTAN, HAVE BEEN ENGAGED IN A FRANTIC MILITARY BUILD-UP AND ACTIVE PREPARATION IN THE LAST FEW MONTHS.
THE PLO'S PREPARATIONS FOR AN IMMINENT WAR ARE EVIDENT. IN GAZA, ARAFAT ORDERED THE MARKED ACCELERATION OF THE BUILDING OF A PERSONAL BUNKER FOUR STORIES DEEP. MOREOVER, THE PLO IS RAPIDLY BUILDING, ALL OVER GAZA, A CHAIN OF COMMAND CENTERS, AMMUNITION AND WEAPONS-STORAGE AREAS-ALL OF THEM UNDERGROUND AND WELL FORTIFIED TO EVEN WITHSTAND ISRAELI BOMBING AND SHELLING. THE PA'S [PALESTINE AUTHORITY'S] SECURITY FORCES ARE ALSO ACCUMULATING LARGE STOCKPILES OF ANTI-TANK AND ANTI-AIRCRAFT WEAPONS, INCLUDING MISSILES, EVEN THOUGH THEY ARE FORBIDDEN BY THE OSLO ACCORDS."
To further expose the mendacity of the "peace process" and of those who foist this deadly charade on the public, let us quote from the 1998 Fateh Constitution. Fateh, the ruling faction of the PLO, controls (and bankrolls) the Palestinian Authority. Not an iota of the Fateh Constitution does not have the approval of PLO chief Yasir Arafat, Israel's "peace partner" so often wined and dined by President Bill Clinton.
Below are 11 of the Fateh Constitution's 27 paragraphs:
1. Palestine is part of the Arab world, the Palestinians are part of the Arab nation and their struggle is part of the struggle of the Arab nation.
4. The Palestinian struggle is an integral part of the worldwide struggle against Zionism, colonialism and international imperialism.
5. The liberation of Palestine is a national duty demanding physical and spiritual assistance from the whole Arab nation.
7. The Zionist movement is racist, colonialist and aggressive in its ideology, its goals, is organization and its methods.
8. The foundation of Israel's existence in Palestine is the Zionist occupation, based on colonialism.
12. The complete liberation of Palestine and the economic, political, military and cultural elimination of Zionism.
13. Establishment of an independent, democratic state in all of Palestine with Jerusalem as its capital.
17. A revolutionary military struggle as the sole method of liberating Palestine.
19. A military struggle is not a tactic but a strategy, and the military revolution of the Arab Palestinian nation is a decisive component in the struggle for the liberation and the removal of the Zionist entity; the struggle will not be complete until the Zionist state is destroyed and Palestine, in its entirety will be liberated.
22. Opposition to any political solutions recommended as an alternative to the destruction of the Zionist occupation of Palestine.
25. Convincing the countries of the world to prevent Jewish emigration to Palestine as a method of solving the problem.
The rulers of the so-called [sic] democratic State of Israel are aware of this document, a document more insidious and lethal than the PLO Covenant. Yet, while contending for personal power and for paltry partisan advantages, they not only ignore the deadly goals and military preparations of Israel's enemies, but they appear almost anxious to surrender the heartland of the Jewish people to the successors of the Nazis!
Prof. Paul Eidelberg is a weekly columnist for the largest Jewish paper in the world, THE JEWSH PRESS, NY), former professor at Bar-Illan University, and now the president of the Foundation for Constitutional Reform in Israel. You may contact Eidelberg by email: Constitution@foundation1.org [The Freeman Center supports his important work and urges you do likewise.]