NOTES ON ISRAELI POLICIES
by Bernard J. Shapiro
On Israel Policy and Government
1. The Israeli prime minister should not be elected to be "dictator" and should be forced to govern with the consent of the electorate and the Knesset.
2. The Freeman Center believes, as David Ben-Gurion said at the Zionist Congress in Basel, Switzerland, in 1937, more than 65 years ago:
"No Jew has the right to yield the rights of the Jewish People in Israel. No Jew has the authority to do so. No Jewish body has the authority to do so. Not even the entire Jewish People alive today has the right to yield any part of Israel.
"It is the right of the Jewish People over the generations, a right that under no conditions can be cancelled. Even if Jews during a specific period proclaim they are relinquishing this right, they have neither the power nor the authority to deny it to future generations. No concession of this type is binding or obligates the Jewish People.
"Our right to the country - the entire country - exists as an eternal right, and we shall not yield this historic right until its full and complete redemption is realized."
3. Democracy requires that Israel's media (which uses national airwaves) should be removed from the hands of the extreme leftists and placed in responsible pro-Israel hands.
4. Israeli newspapers that incite against any Jewish segment of the population should be prosecuted.
5. Israel's Justice Department, Police, Prosecutors and Supreme Court must be stripped of their political bias in favor of extreme anti-Israel elements and become truly non-political.
6. Israeli industries must take responsibility for the pollution of the soil, air and water and take dramatic action to clean their operations.
7. Israel's Foreign Ministry must cease its failed policy of trying to explain its actions and trying to be nice to the Arabs. It should launch a broad campaign of psychological warfare against the Arabs and an aggressive campaign to win over public opinion. This means showing the world the horror and brutality of the Arabs, their lack of human rights, abuse of women (including genital mutilation), continued slavery, corruption and support (both financial and functional) of international terrorism.
In 1978, Chaim Herzog wrote a book in response to the United Nation's resolution that stated that Zionism is racism. The book was Who Stands Accused: Israel Faces Its Critics (Random House, 1978, 278 pages). Herzog brilliantly defended Israel and portrayed its critics in the harshest terms. Unfortunately, since the Oslo Appeasement of 1993, the Israeli Foreign Ministry has too often found itself in the position of putting a good face on its terrorist collaborators in the Palestine Authority. The result has been disastrous, not just on the ground in Israel in terms of dead and maimed Jews, but also in world public opinion.
By not telling the truth about the Arabs, the Arabs were able to repeat lies about Israel without an effective counter-attack. And lies they told, every hour, every day with constant repetition. Joseph Goebbels' Nazis taught them about how the bigger the lie the more it is believed and the utility of repetition of lies. Today, 59% of Europeans believe that Israel is the greatest danger to world peace. We must not throw up our hands and attribute everything to anti-Semitism (though that is certainly a factor) and must act forcefully and intelligently to present Israel's case to the world.
On Arabs and Terrorism
1. If Arabs do not like living in the same areas a Jews, we should remove the Arabs - not the Jews. This includes Judea, Samaria, Gaza and Jerusalem.
2. Arabs who are disloyal to the State of Israel should lose their voting rights in national elections. They could still vote in municipal or local elections.
3. Arabs who commit acts of violence against Jews should be either expelled or executed, depending on the degree of the violence.
4. The following will sound harsh, but remember that "he who is merciful to the cruel, will end up being cruel to the merciful." How to properly mete out justice in the case of hostile acts:
A. Throwing stones at Jews (in cars or walking) - Expulsion from Israel.
B. Throwing Molotov cocktails at Jews (in cars or walking) - Death sentence.
C. Collaboration in terrorist plot to kill Jews - Execution with bullets dipped in pork products (this prevents the terrorists from going to "paradise" in Islamic theology and acts a psychological deterrent to terrorism), after interrogation to gain maximum intelligence.
D. Participation in terrorist attack on Jews - Execution with bullets dipped in pork products, after interrogation to gain maximum intelligence.
E. Terrorists found guilty of killing, mutilating, kidnaping, or raping Jews - Execution with bullets dipped in pork products, after interrogation to gain maximum intelligence.
5. No terrorists should be kept alive to prevent future absurd prisoner exchanges.
6. Should an Israeli be captured by an enemy, the IDF should launch massive continuous attacks causing such pain and damage to the enemy as to force the return of the prisoner.
7. Military action should be aimed at "draining the swamp" instead of swatting mosquitoes (targeting just leaders).
8. Military action should be based on one massive campaign with no let up to allow the terrorists to re-group and re-arm. Once must think of fighting terrorism much the way a doctor treats an infection or cancer. If he doesn't root it out completely, the disease will metastasize or grow back with the passage of a short time.
Should the above measures be taken, I believe Israel will put an end to the scourge of terrorism.